As we approach the holiday weekend let’s take a look at grill safety. Many of us will be lighting up the grill this weekend having a cookout for friends and/or family.
Whether your barbecue uses charcoal, wood, propane or natural gas, don’t even think about firing it up until you are sure it’s safe.
- Make certain that vents are clean and operable and that there are no areas that have rusted through. Embers can wreak havoc with a nearby wood pile or even your home.
- Thoroughly clean your grill each season. Grease buildup can cause a fire that cannot be easily extinguished.
- For gas grills, check and secure all gas connections. A leak can be fatal. Soapy water sprayed onto each connection and fitting will reveal an unwanted leak.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home or other combustible surfaces.
- Don’t barbecue indoors, including in a garage. You can literally suffocate every living thing in your home.
- Don’t barbecue on a wood deck if there is a chance that dry grass is growing beneath it. You can start a fire that can’t be easily extinguished.
- Don’t use gasoline or paint thinner to start your fire. You may lose a substantial amount of hair in the process.
- Use starter fluid sensibly. Apply it to the coals and then light your fire. Don’t stand next to the fire and squirt lighter fluid onto the flames.
- When using a gas grill NEVER turn the gas on with the lid closed. An accumulation of gas can result in a horrendous explosion.
- Keep children away from the grill. Each year many children and adults are burnt or injured during backyard barbeques.
Enjoy your time with family and friends and ensure everyone is safe.