Mail and packages are delivered to University students at the Residence Halls by a combination of various providers including The United States Post Office (USPS), Fed Ex, UPS and University Mail Services. The correct address format for students to use (regardless of carrier) is:
Room number / Full building name
Newark, DE 19717-xxxx (4 digit zip code addition unique to each dorm)
*Note: Adding the phrase “The University of Delaware” to the address or using the University’s business zip code of 19716 can delay packages and mail by several days. Please do not do that.
Properly addressed NON-SIGNATURE REQUIRED USPS Mail is delivered directly to the various Residence Halls Monday through Saturday during the school year (with the exception of USPS recognized holidays). Non-signature mail includes First Class, Bulk, Media Mail, Priority mail and packages and USPS Express Mail with a waiver of signature. Anything requiring a signature gets delivered to the two Residence Hall Package Centers on campus.
RESIDENCE HALL PACKAGE CENTERS
The University has two Package Centers located on campus. These two Centers handle the accountable mail and packages for the on campus student body. UPS, Fed Ex, DHL and SIGNATURE REQUIRED USPS mail comprise the bulk of the packages and mail received. The dorm of the respective student determines which Package Center they should pick up at.
- The Trabant Package Center services the following dorms: The Harringtons, The Russells, The Dickinsons, The Rodneys, Lane, Thompson, Gilbert, Redding, Brown Sypherd, Harter, Sharp, Warner, Cannon, New Castle, Kent, Sussex, Squire, and Smyth.
- The Christiana Commons Package Center services the following dorms: The Christiana Towers (East and West), Independence Hall (East and West), Thomas McKean, James Smith, George Read (North and South), Ray Street A, B and C and the houses on Hollowell Drive (Sigma Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Alpha, Chi Omega, & Kappa Alpha Theta).
Packages received at the Centers are scanned, logged in and filed. Students are then e-mailed of their packages arrival and are required to pick the package up during Center business hours:
TRABANT PACKAGE CENTER - Phone (302)831- 4381:
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
CHRISTIANA COMMONS CENTER - Phone (302)831-1245:
Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
NOTES OF INTEREST
- Identification is required for all pickups at the Centers.
- Package e-mails are sent to the students University e-mail address. Be sure to calibrate any spam filters to allow proper notification.
- Packages will remain in the Centers until the end of the Spring Semester.
- Returning students should make every effort to update their University address with online merchants as soon as possible.
- Any questions or in the case of an emergency, please call campus mail at 302-831-2158.
- When sending a perishable item, please notify the student that they will be receiving one. We are not responsible for perishables that are not picked up in a timely manner. We have no way to properly store perishables.