University of Delaware

Personal Property Damages

The University of Delaware does not assume responsibility for damage, theft
or loss of personal property.  When you signed the Student Housing Agreement you
and your family were encouraged to protect yourselves from loss by purchasing
appropriate insurance.

  • Insurance

If you experience damage to personal property in your University room, you and
your family should first review whether the damaged items are covered under your
insurance, including your family’s homeowner’s policy.  Students and parents may
submit an appeal for reimbursement for damaged items not covered by their insurance.
The student or parent must submit appeals by email to the University Facilities
department at within ninety (90) days of the incident. 
Appeals must include the resident’s name, birth date, residence hall, room number,
details of the incident that caused the property damage and a description of the
loss with estimated value of damaged items.  The Facilities Department will
carefully review the appeal and notify the resident within ten (10) business days
whether the resident is eligible for reimbursement.  If the appeal is granted,
the resident will be contacted regarding any additional materials necessary to
complete the claim.

Damage, theft or loss of personal property caused by another person’s lack of care
or willful act should be reported to the University Police.  Students and
parents may also wish to file judicial charges and/or seek civil action and
should contact the Office of Judicial Affairs.

  • University of Delaware Facilities, Real Estate & Auxiliary Services Newark, DE 19716 USA
    Phone: (302) 831-1141 © 2004 - 2017 University of Delaware